.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

GBE 80 - Music That Defines You




When I was young, music defined me, but now that I'm older my mood defines my music. Most of you who know me, know I love music and how much it means to me. It is my saving grace at times; it has been there for me when there has been no one to turn to.

My taste in music covers all genres across the spectrum. That means I like rock, hard rock, classic rock, metal, alternative metal (there is a difference. ex: Body Count), pop, blues, jazz, big band, country, etc, etc. Even rap. What mood I am in dictates what music I want to listen to. Lately, it has been KNAC. Go ahead and try it.

You might like it. ;p

Back when I was growing up in O-town, Florida, radio was, for the most part, AM. The "music business" did not see the need to slice and dice the tuneage like they do now. Today, a station will play ONLY Top 40, or R&B (oops, it is called Urban now), or pop, or classic rock. Gone are the days of the playlists that WLOF, aka Channel 95, had.

I miss it, that variety, which is why I'm so glad to have my ipod. Forty-five gigs of music that I have gotten over the years. All kinds, set to shuffle. Now all I need to do is convert the music off my collection of 100+ vinyl records (LP's, EP's, & 45's). So many songs on B-sides are going to disappear. I know they are. I know I can convert them, I just have to get a USB turntable and find the time.

I used to remember going to the local record stores in the seventies and picking these up at the counter. I found some online that go back to 1957. It is how I was introduced to different styles. Just look at the range of genres played. Oh, memories.

A question: Do you think you'd find a commercial radio station today that would play side-by-side Led Zeppelin, the Archies and BJ Thomas?

I can't picture it.



1957

Photobucket

1966

Photobucket

1970

Photobucket
1972

Photobucket


FYI: I am working on some erotic fiction. Can you believe that? Me? LOL.

I was going to try and incorporate it into this blog, but
I'm still working on it. Putting on finishing touches.

And I had already thought of this story from my youth.

1 comment:

Carmen Lezeth said...

I don't remember AM radio -- I think in Boston it was FM, but I'm not sure. Regardless, I love what you said about your mood defining your music now. I think that's how it is for me and definitely my saving grace.


Carmen